Enter the yard sale. I had already found one great piece at this particular sale when I turned to my right and saw a bunch of books piled high on a filthy, white bench with a dirty blue cover. I honestly didn't think that it was for sale but of course I had to ask. Luckily they responded with an enthusiastic, "yes!" I asked how much they were selling it for and after considering the question for a good 30 seconds answered me with, "three dollars"... SOLD!
The bench needed a good scrubbing and the cover was just best tossed. However, the padding inside was able to be salvaged. I went to Joann's and searched through the outdoor fabrics for a heavy duty textile to keep up with E and his cleats, backpack and the occasional spill. I narrowed it down to two. I ended up going with a coral and cream pattern with a touch of blue and a 40% off sticker! I then grabbed some unique stitch (My new bff!!!!)
As with all of my projects, I let my materials simmer for a bit and waited for inspiration to strike. It finally did one evening at midnight and I got to scrubbing! Once the bench itself was clean I could move on to the fun part, the cushion! I can not stress how easy the unique stitch was to use btw.
Here's how I made the cushion:
#1 I laid the padding flat on the floor with my entire yardage of fabric under it. I cut all of the extra off to save for another project.
#2 I then laid my padding onto the middle of my now cut fabric. I also made sure to flip it over right side up to ensure the pattern would be correct with the blue stripe directly in the middle when finished.
#3 I pulled one half over onto the padding and made an initial strip of glue onto the pad itself. (I wasn't worried about getting the fabric on/off to clean, since I figure i'll be sick of it by the time it needs to be laundered.)
#4 I then pulled my fabric very tight before folding the other half over the padding.
#5 I folded a small piece under to hide the "seam." I then glued a strip of the unique stitch to this and pressed it firm.
FYI after the first side was done I learned I should make a small slit out of the side fabric and cut out the excess to make the fold less bulky.
#8 Your side should now look like this!
Top view of the bench
Linking today's post with: